I wanted to write this without sounding like I'm tooting my own horn, but I'm not sure how. I've always been a selfish person. Someone who goes to buy a birthday present for someone and first finds something for myself. It's something I agonize over and I'm constantly catching myself, trying to remember "it's not about me". But every day I fail somehow... being human doesn't help. We are born selfish. It's a natural instinct, but I'm sure you know someone in your life who just screams SELFLESS! And I always admire those people so much. My husband is one of them and so often I don't feel worthy of him because he's so genuinely selfless towards me and others that I feel like the worst wife ever. There he goes again... being a sweetheart... thinking of me first. But he loves it and it truly makes him happy.
My top goal for 2017 has been to practice being selfless and do special things for others. Y'all, I'm having a freaking blast! So much so I can't stop. I'm constantly writing down ideas of things I can do for people in my planner. Or making a note in my phone when someone mentions something about being sick or having a bad day... "note: do something for them". I want to share how I have blessed the lives of others in the last two months not to toot my own horn, but to share how much JOY it has brought ME! And to give you some ideas if you want to try doing this too - I swear it becomes addicting.
1. Sending a "thinking of you" text message out of the blue. Easy, simple, but such a nice surprise for the recipient.
2. Send snail mail. I've sent cards with a little note, cards with a surprise little $5 gift card for a coffee on me, a present with a note that said, "I saw this and thought of you". Something simple goes a long way.
3. Bake a meal. This is my favorite y'all. I do it all the time! Jon's mom was supposed to have surgery yesterday (ended up being canceled) but I took them homemade chicken noodle soup. Our neighbors husband passed away yesterday, I took them pot pie. Two friends have had a baby in the last week... I'm taking them meals and small pamper gift baskets.
4. Drop off goodies. Recently a friend was talking about what a rough week she was having so I stopped by the grocery store and snagged some cookies from the bakery and a bouquet of flowers and left them on her door step. It took me less than 10 minutes to run into the store and I didn't lift a finger, but she knew I was thinking about her.
5. Pay it forward... in the drive thru at Chick-fil-A. You may have seen on Instagram awhile back when I shared how Jon overheard a conversation between and elderly couple at the grocery store discussing what they could afford that week. The husband was sadly telling his wife to put some things back. So Jon bought their groceries and tried to duck out of the store discretely, but the cashier gave him away. The old man chased him into the parking lot, crying, and explained what that mean to him and his wife.
5. Know a mom who is struggling? Offer to watch her kids for an hour while she showers, takes a nap, gets out of the house. We mamas can raise a hand to how amazing that would be!
These are really simple, meaningful ways you can bless the lives of others. I swear you'll bless yourself more than anything. It brings a high along with it when you pour into someone else. I plan to stay strong with my resolution and find new ways to serve others. I'd love to hear if you have any ideas.
Speaking of helping others, XOmandysue is donating 20% of their proceeds for the month of February to the organization Reading Is Fundamental. They provide children in need support in reading and learning. I love reading with my kids and some children don't have that support - can you imagine? Breaks my heart! So get yourself something to wear this Spring and Summer and support a good cause. Use this code at checkout: KKGUF35 for 35% off your order AND support a good cause.
Here are some cute pieces I wouldn't mind adding to my closet! Oh wait... I already added that skirt :)