It always amazes me when mothers are so willing to cast judgement upon another mother. We are all just trying to survive while loving and protecting our sticky little human sinners, right? So why do we feel the need to gawk at one mother's decision because it isn't one we'd make on our own? I can remember saying, "I will never do that when I'm a mom" and yes, I wish I could go back in time and slap my immature, judgemental self who was in dire need of a reality check. I didn't know what it was like then. Now I do. And I promise not to stare at you in disgust as your child reaches up and grabs apples at the grocery store only to throw them down in the floor. Instead I will pick up that apple and give you a warm smile that assures you I've been there and you AND your child are normal.
That actually happened to me at the grocery store the other day and it left me feeling annoyed at people and their lack of empathy, but it also caused me to think about the other things I do as a mother that would probably cause some more judgemental looks.
one // I give Maddox french fries and ice cream. I feed him fruit/kale smoothies and oatmeal and lean protein 95% of the time, but the other 5%? I'm doing what's convenient and running through a drive through. He's even tasted soda... the horror!
two // He watches cartoons at least twice a day. Usually 45mins in the morning while I slowly wake up, drink hot coffee and get breakfast going and another hour in the evening when I need to get dinner started or blog work done. I don't have a problem with screen time. In fact I need it to keep my sanity. Don't tell me you only allow 30 minutes of screen time a day if you are a stay at home mom. I'm going to have to call your bluff.
three // Sometimes my kid goes to bed with dirty feet. I would love to have the energy and be willing to fight the fight to bath my child every night, but "ain't nobody got time for that". If he's already cranky by the time dinner is over it is just survival mode to get his diaper changed and his booty in pajamas before prayers and bed. Leaning over the bathtub on my hands and knees to wash my child who doesn't like water in his face isn't my favorite pass time right now either at 30 weeks pregnant.
four // I let my child eat dirt. Sometimes I catch him scooping up some dirt or sand at the park and putting it into his mouth. I look at him and tell him "no, shew that's gross", but by no means do I go running to him to get it out or worry about the next handful he's probably going to consume. "God made dirt, dirt don't hurt" right? If you are the type of mom that frantically wipes their child's hand before it goes to their mouth than more power to you! I don't have the energy to keep that up 20,000 times a day! Would you die if I told you Maddox has also consumed a ladybug, mothball, dog food and a cigarette butt in his life time? The cigarette butt totally grossed me out, but it happened.
five // I breastfed Maddox until he weaned himself at 11 months old, but I would have ended it at 12 months regardless. He was becoming distracted often so it was making feedings quite difficult. But in all honesty when my child can come up to me and lift my shirt on his own I am really not comfortable feeding anymore. I will forever be grateful and happy to breastfeed for that first year of life. I count it as a HUGE blessing! There just won't be any 16 months, 19 months, 24 months happening over here.
So are you turning your nose up to me yet? Because I could go on. I've learned to be a laid back and get a bit of tough skin as a mom. People can have their opinions and you can't keep them from voicing them. So it's best to just learn to shrug it off. At the end of the day I love my children unconditionally and I will do everything to make them know that in their bones.
What's something you've done as a mother that you think would cause a judgemental stare or comment? And don't you tell me you don't have something. Surely you've left your kid in a dirty diaper too long or something!